Monday, August 6, 2007

"Square Peg, Round Hole?" Response

This article poses the question of whether or not Web 2.0 will ever really "fit in." I believe that it will. Society has painted a rather bleak picture of certain internet activities. Because of this, I believe that some people are then scared off of from the tools that can become extremely useful for learning and communicating. I have never used any of these tools in my classroom, but I can see how they can be used effectively, even in a lower elementary classroom. My students love the thought of being able to communicate with people from different regions and these tools makes that so much easier, and response time is much quicker.

I am already beginning to formulate ideas of how to use a blog in my classroom this year. Initially I am intending to use it to inform parents and others of what is going on in my classroom. Eventually, though, I would like to collaborate with another classroom in a different location. This would allow my students to see what other students of their age are thinking about some of the same topics we are discussing in our room. This will give my students a chance to learn about technology, but it will also work on their language skills (both written and verbal) in a real-world application!

Technology is a wonderful way for us to be able to communicate and collaborate with people from around the world. However, as with anything, the students need to know how to be safe while utilizing these tools instead of just being told to stay away from them.

1 comment:

Clark said...

I relate to your learning experience reflecting on use of Web 2.0 in the lower elementary classroom setting. I understand your need to visualize the classroom instruction, practice and parent informational components needed to prepare the students to begin their Web 2.0 literacy quest. The little steps you take will surely lead your class on their way!